September 27, 2009

Online Volunteering

Hey guys!!!

Let me tell you something. Entering the working world has great advantages and challenges that make it exciting. However, it also has some not so good features. Being the most important of those (at least for me) the lack of a reasonable amount of free days at work. That's one of the main reasons I haven't been posting that much about trips and adventures recently. No free days at work means no time for doing what I love the most, traveling. Now, I really value my time at university, when you could skip classes without consequences, had three main holidays a year (Christmas, Easter and Summer) and, also quite important, could go out on Thursday night knowing that the next morning sleeping was an option. So as I'm not able to get out of my country as often as I would like, I divert the content of my posts in some way. This doesn't mean I will stop talking about my future adventures, just that I still feel the need of writing even when traveling is not involved.

Today I just wanted to share with you another great opportunity to help I got to know recently and which I'm already part of. It's called Online Volunteering, and as its own name suggests it consists of devoting some of your time (as much as you have available or want to, that's up to you) to helping the people in need through the internet. The basic idea is to help with small work, like translating, organizing paper-work, contacting sponsors, preparing material... from your home. So the best part is its flexibility and that you can organize your time however you want, as long as you finish the task.

I believe it's a great chance for those who, like me, don't have much free time left but want to help. There's a lot of opportunities out there to get involved. I'm just gonna mention the two I'm part of now, but if you type in Online Volunteering in Google you would find many others. The first one is part of the United Nations Online Volunteering program. In this case there's a bunch to choose from depending on your abilities, your free time and so on. I translate articles from English to Spanish for a pretty interesting magazine. The website is


So try and check it out. The other one is called International Humanity Foundation (IHF). It's a non-religious, non-political, non-profit organization that strongly believes in an equal opportunity for all and in preserving the cultures, traditions and beliefs of the marginalized communities it works in. They offer a bunch of different Teams, each of them focusing on specific tasks, that you can join. When selected, you choose the amount of hours you can devote every month and start helping. As simple as that. Their website is


I encourage you to at least have a look at what they offer and then decide. I believe it's a great way of helping and improving the world we live in, specially for those of us already working and with limited free time.

No comments: