December 15, 2012

Quick update and thoughts about the future

I promised I would be updating often this blog. However, since I guess there are not many people out there reading it and its main purpose is to keep my written english as fresh as possible while my head correctly structured, I don't give much importance to this discontinuous process. Thus, I might as well just give you a heads up on what has been going on in my live lately, updating it with the highlights up to this moment I am writing, my flatmate in the seat next to me, in a train coming back from Barcelona. Why am I in this train? Well, you will have to wait to the end of the post, since it is chronologically structured and first things come first.

I keep playing basketball in the same team I did last year, some of the band has deserted already, but I stay there, hanging for not long most probably. I am not as excited about it as I was and the motivation of loosing every single game during 2012 does not help much. So I have diversified, playing now what in Spain is known as soccer 7, that is, same thing as standard soccer but with seven players in a smaller field rather than eleven. Central defense or however it is called is my current position and I have to confess that I am greatly enjoying it!

Besides that and all I already summarized in a previous post about traveling, I continue volunteering for Engineers Without Borders in my region. Probably not the typical NGO we are used to see or hear about, but definitely one with character. This character is basically given to the organization by its gross mass of volunteers, who shape the way of getting things done and its unique philosophy. It has been amazing being able to find a group of people with whom one can discuss issues not that common in most daily conversations, and doing so in an atmosphere of trust and most importantly, friendship.

And of course, this year there has been time for the already usual music festivals around Spain. Places like Bilbao, Burriana, Murcia... have been visited by us, always hungry for this kind of events.

Who's asked that? where am I going to spend this New Year's Eve? As some of you might already be aware of, it has kind of become a tradition to spend this particularly festive event out of my hometown (Edinburgh first and Madrid later). Well, because traditions should be kept, this year will not be an exception and we will be witnessing the dropping of the ball at Times Squares in NYC. That is right, we managed to organized an international reunion with the UVM crew this year. I have no doubt it will be awesome sharing adventures with these people again.

So what was I saying first? Ah, yes, that I am in a train back to Pamplona all the way from Barcelona. How so? Well, I have been there to do an exam in order to try and get a place in a MBA program in the US. How did it go? lets say that it didn't go as good as it should have if I plan on obtaining a full scholarship (really in decline now), but the result is still not that bad in order to get admitted in a decent business school. So it is time now for investigating options and go through with whatever looks best.

I will let you know about any further developments!!!

No comments: