March 22, 2008

Switzerland there I go

So here I am. In front of my computer waiting for the clock to say it's one o'clock in the morning. Today I'm leaving for Madrid because in the morning I'm meeting Eva in order to catch a flight to Switzerland. There I'll be meeting some of the best members of the wonderful UVM internationals gang. Because there's few feelings in life greater than that of seeing the people you care about again. As I was walking around the city center of Pamplona this morning I realized there's two different kinds of friends. None of them better than the other but both amazing.
There's these friends who live in the same place you do and with whom you share most of the time. You go out with them, talk with them all the time both in person and on the phone, etc. They are usually considered best friends and in fact they are. They know all about you and you know all about them.
On the other hand there's those people who live far away. They are your friends because you shared great moments during a period of time in some place where you met by chance. Once each of you are back to where you belong, contact becomes difficult. I believe long distance relationships don't work but friendship does. The basis of a relationship aren't the same of those of a friendship. In the first one you need to share almost everything with the other person and you have to be with him/her all the time or at least know he/she is still there. Time and distance makes this really difficult. However, in the second one you don't depend that much on the other person. You can be long periods of time without hearing from him/her and it's fine. Each of you have different lives and you know and accept that. But you also know that person is still there and cares about you. It's not necessary to be checking on her/him all the time. Sometimes it's enough with a message from time to time. And that's in fact what makes it so special. Don't tell me you don't get excited when you receive an email or facebook message from someone you haven't heard from in a while. Well, I do.
To sum up, I believe everyday friends are a really important part of our lives and that we need them. But I also think the other kind of friends is worth having. They can make your day on one of those days you're down.

1 comment:

Putri Gayatri Pertiwi said...

Alberto, Alberto,
I agree, I agree, I agree... totally!!
Long-distanced relationships don't work for me,
but long-distanced friendships... allow pauses.
Having not heard much from a certain friend for a while does not mean the friendship has ceased.
Memories of our life time and space shared remain,
and will be reminisced,
unlike in the case of a love relationship haha!
Wish I could be at the reunion too!
Hugs from Jakarta