December 01, 2007

Don't cry for me Argentina

The end of my study year abroad is almost here. I still haven't figured out what I'm going to do afterwards. But one thing is for sure, I'm definitely not going home yet. The road-trip through the States isn't gonna happen so I have to find something soon. And Miguel (Miguelito if you studied in Vermont) comes to give me the solution. "Why don't you come with me to Argentina?" and I'm like, yeah sure, it's not like far or expensive at all you know. But the idea stays in my head and keeps coming up. So I go to Miguel and ask: "ok, what's the plan and budget then?" After talking with him I've already decided I'm going to Argentina and eventually to Chile as well.
So when school is finished we take a couple of flights and land in Buenos Aires. Incredible city I have to say. There we stayed with Mikel and Aitziber, lovely guys from Pamplona. He's friends with Miguel and are doing an internship there for six months. Tracey has the best idea ever. Catching a plane to Iguazu and stay there for two days in order to discover the astonishing waterfalls. I don't even have words to describe it. Being there surrounded by the jungle and with those gorgeous natural wonders is just one of the best feelings in live. It starts raining while we are there, so the falls carry five times more water than usual. Just awesome!



It's time now for a different kind of natural wonder: The Glaciers. We get a flight to Bariloche and there rent a car to drive down most of the Patagonia region to end up in El Calafate. The car ride is two days long thru a desert land with extreme weather. Always having to be careful with wild animals crossing the crappy road or with Aitziber driving, hehe. Once in El Calafate we go to Perito Moreno Glacier and to some more. Wonderful! Well, I think the pictures speak for themselves.



After staying a couple of nights in Mendoza on our way to Chile (crossing the Andes by bus) we arrive to Valparaiso. There Paulina is waiting for us and makes us feel at home. Her family is so nice and sweet that our stay there is perfect. We visited that beautiful city and partied a lot (just like during the rest of the trip). And finally, our last stop, Santiago de Chile. Here we stayed at Santi's place. Another guy from Pamplona so helpful and kind who showed us the whole city.
I have to thank Miguel for offering me this opportunity. It was a great experience. I feel like I'm forgetting so many stories and experiences, but I don't like huge posts. I rather prefer people to explore these places by themselves. I just give some hints about what I did and how I enjoyed it. Then is each one's decision to try it or not. But if I were you I'd try to travel us much as I could. I know a lot of people who think like me (Julen, Mauro, Anita, ...). So just do it!!

1 comment:

CASTIELLO said...

Nice post Barcia, and what wonderful cities and places you saw in South America! I hope I will travel as much as you!