December 04, 2007

UVM memories

As most of you may know, I spent last year studying in the US. To be more specific, I studied in the tiny state of Vermont, which hosts UVM. I have to be honest, before they told me I was going to Vermont, I didn't even know this was a state. I mean, I had never heard of it or anything. But once I knew, it was everywhere. I started to notice it on TV or in books I read and of course, I did some research. It seemed to be a cool (and really cold) state, different in a lot of ways to the rest of the US. I met a guy from my home university who studied there the previous year, and all he told me was: "you're gonna love it up there". And I really did.
After the end of summer, fall came. Just beautiful! with all those colors in the trees. And the campus was lovely. I lived in a dorm. Maybe a house off-campus would have been better, but I personally think the experience of living in an american dorm was worth it. My column in the building was D-Low and I can assure you it was the meeting point if you ever wanted to go out at night. There was always movement and something going on there. I'm not really gonna talk here about the people or suitmates because I think I already did in other posts, but don't worry, I'll do it in future posts when you had already forgotten about it. The thing is that during first semester it was mostly about discovering. Discovering the country, the state, the people, the university, and really important, the culture. Classes at first seemed weird to me, but after a while I got used to the silly questions, the lack of respect towards the professor, etc.
One of the things I really loved about UVM was the vast amount of clubs there were. I mean, you had from salsa club to outing club going thru ski club and so. I was member of the ski and snowboarding club (I even have a t-shirt), the salsa club and went on a couple of outing club trips (have you ever wondered what would it be to build a snow shelter and sleep there? well, I did it in Vermont). And I've never skied so much in my whole life. In part thanks to Adrian and his car rides to either Bolton Valley or Jay Peak.
And of course I have to mention the American parties. First time I've ever been in one and I loved it. I enjoyed talking to everyone in the party and meeting new people there, specially if they were of the opposite sex. But also hanging out in the bars downtown after a late shift at the library. Oh, and working in the library. So many good memories with Devin and Alex (the supervisors) who were crazier than any other employee. I shouldn't forget about Angus, who made it possible for me to work there, although in the beginning I didn't like him that much.
So I guess I'm gonna miss all that. At least I have my photo albums to remember that great year I spent in that beautiful little state called Vermont. And thank you everyone there for making it so wonderful. If you ever get the chance, don't hesitate to visit it. And gosh, I have to say it, UVM is aweeeeeesome!!!!


No comments: